Political Advisor – Rohingya Refugee Crisis
||Political Advisor – Rohingya Refugee Crisis
||Anticipatory – Term position (1 year with possible extension to permanent position)
||This position is a locally engaged staff position subject to the Terms and Conditions of
Employment for LES in Bangladesh
||Foreign Policy and Diplomacy Section (FPDS)
|Number of Vacancies:
||1,519,625 BDT/year (under review)
||High Commission of Canada to Dhaka, Bangladesh
||May 7, 2021
|Hours of work:
The Canadian High Commission in Dhaka is looking for a dynamic and proactive Political Advisor.
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES
Reporting to the Foreign Policy Diplomacy Service Program Manager, the Advisor will be responsible for developing a reporting plan and preparing reports on various domestic, regional and international issues related to the presence of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, international accountability efforts, repatriation, resettlement, and integration options, and Rohingya refugees’ voice (representation). This includes: identifying stakeholders and key actors in government, host community, and the Rohingya refugee community and analyzing the power dynamics; the impact of the prolonged presence on local and national politics; the effect of the Rohingya refugee situation on Bangladeshi relations with Myanmar, China, India and other countries; monitoring developments relating to justice and accountability; and security issues such as potential radicalization. The Advisor will organize and report on meetings and other events related to the above topics on behalf of the Canadian High Commission (CHC). The Advisor will prepare related advocacy, briefing and communications materials as well as support CHC and VIP visits to Cox’s Bazar (CXB) and the camps. The Advisor will help develop or review Rohingya refugee related plans, proposals, policies, and strategies, as required. The Advisor will maintain and grow a network of Rohingya refugee related contacts to facilitate their work and that of the High Commission. The Advisor will travel between Dhaka, Cox’s Bazar and other locations within Bangladesh as needed to conduct their duties.
AREAS OF SELECTION
- Any person eligible to work in Bangladesh
- All employees of the High Commission of Canada to Bangladesh
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the essential requirements stated below.
The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Bachelors’ degree from a government recognized university.
- Fluency in English: written and spoken (a written test maybe administered).
- Fluency in Bangla: written and spoken.
- At least five years’ experience working as a political and/or governance officer in a government body, research organization, think tank, diplomatic mission, or international organization.
- Experience in conducting research and analysis, drafting reports, briefing materials, and providing advice to management.
- Experience organizing events such as panel discussions and conferences in-person and virtually (online).
- Experience building and maintaining a network of contacts.
- Experience preparing correspondence as well as communications materials such as speeches, talking points, press releases and content for social media.
- Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- MS Teams, Webex, WhatsApp and Zoom.
- Extensive knowledge of the political, human rights and security affairs of Bangladesh.
- Good understanding of the political, social, economic and international relations aspects of the Rohingya crisis, and a good grasp of its local, national and regional repercussions and policy implications.
- Knowledge of influential governmental and civil society individuals and organizations (national and local) in Bangladesh, including those who work on policy and project implementation related to the Rohingya presence in Bangladesh.
- Ability to research, analyze and write high level reports on developments in Bangladesh and the region relating to Bangladesh government policy on the Rohingya, domestic attitudes toward the Rohingya, and related human rights and security issues.
- Ability to plan and coordinate high level bilateral visits related to the Rohingya presence in Bangladesh from Government of Canada representatives and senior officials to districts outside of Dhaka, including in CXB.
- Ability to synthesize complex information and provide recommendations and analysis to senior management.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective communication networks and working relationships with Government of Bangladesh officials, academics and civil society.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in writing and orally in both English and Bangla.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate workload.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated integrity, tact, dependability, judgment, initiative, and adaptability.
- Capacity to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with clients, colleagues and supervisors.
- Management will consider conflict of interest in determining the successful candidate.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- High degree of discretion.
- Proactive in identifying issues to be monitored and reported on.
- High intellectual and analytical capacity.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Team orientation.
(Candidates are encouraged to indicate how they meet the following criteria, where applicable as they may be rated)
- Ability to communicate in Chittagong/Rohingya dialect
- Ability to communicate in French
- Experience working in a diplomatic mission
- Experience working on the Rohingya refugees crisis in Myanmar or Bangladesh or on refugee issues elsewhere
- Experience assessing project proposals
- Experience supporting VIP visits
- Over five years experience working in a government or international organization
SELECTION PROCEDURE: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
All applications will be carefully reviewed against the mandatory and desired requirements of the job. Candidates screened in will be contacted for further assessment, including: a personal interview with a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities, competencies and personal suitability for the position. In addition, tests may be conducted to assist the selection board in assessing the applicant’s qualifications, skills and language ability. Reference verifications shall be conducted as a part of the hiring process.
The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list to staff similar openings which may arise in the twelve (12) months following the completion of this competition.
- Must be willing and able to respond to emergencies after hours and on weekends;
- Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week; Ability to work overtime (evenings and weekends);
- Ability to work in a diverse international and cultural environment;
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT (MUST BE MET):
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to a Reliability Check (RC) obtained by the Management. To conduct the Reliability Check (RC), the candidate will have to submit the following documents on being selected by the mission.
DO NOT PROVIDE THESE DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION – REQUIRED ONLY IF SELECTED
- Police clearance certificate (Character Certificate)
- Letter of recognition from your bank stating your name, years of client service and your address
- Professional and educational certificates and mark sheets (i.e., academic transcripts)
- Piece of identification (passport or driver’s license)
How to apply
- Please follow the link http://chc.amris.com/wizards_v2/chc/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4447& and complete the online application form.
- Applicants must submit a cover letter and a curriculum-vitae clearly demonstrating how they meet the education, language and experience required for the position.
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: CSDPDHHumanResources/RessourcesHumaines@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date.
- Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected
- Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Please note that some email systems may block emails from unknown users. Candidates should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including junk mail.
- Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The High Commission of Canada in Dhaka does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- If candidates need any special assistance in terms of attending exams or interviews, then please let us know during the application process.
- The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada in Dhaka, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
- If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to CSDPDHHumanResources/RessourcesHumaines@international.gc.ca
Job Source: Bdjobs.com